Ali from The Wardrobe, Reimagined shows her method for creating a pattern from an existing garment. She uses the rub-off method found in the book Patternmaking for a Perfect Fit: Using the Rub-off Technique to Re-Create and Redesign Your Favorite Fashions by Steffani Lincecum. The method allows you to trace the pieces while keeping the garment intact. For detailed explanations of this method, you should definitely read the book. But for a quick demo of how the method works, go to Ali’s tutorial.
[via Dollar Store Crafts]
By Anne Weaver
- Tutorial: Trace a pattern from a favorite garment
- Tutorial: Keep a fabric motif intact across a dart
- Tutorial: Hem jeans like a professional
- Busy book = quiet educational play
- Tutorial: Trace an existing garment to create your own sewing blocks