I love making softie dolls. I love the wide-open possibilities of fabric choice and shape. I love stuffing them and seeing them come to life. But what I absolutely don’t like is making their faces. In a perfect world, I’d be able to draw as well as I can sew, and I could effortlessly make their little faces reflect the personalities I imagine for them. But, it’s an imperfect world, and my dolly faces usually reflect this.
One of my new favorite things to do with my Silhouette is make freezer paper stencils. Freezer paper stencils for softie faces. And you don’t even need to be able to draw in order to make one!
***Have you entered our giveaway for a Silhouette SD digital cutter? If not, go there now and get entered! Deadline is Monday, November 29 at midnight CST.***
It takes a little bit of tinkering with the drawing tools to edit the image down to just the face.
Want to know how I did it? Don’t worry; it’s not difficult at all.
1. First things first, open up the image in the Silhouette Studio software. Then, ungroup it by highlighting the image and then right-clicking and selecting Ungroup.
2. Now that the image is ungrouped, you can edit each line and shape within the image separately.
3. Delete everything in the image except the face. (Highlight an element, right-click, and choose Delete.)
4. Once you’ve deleted everything but the face, use the arrow cursor to select it all, and then right-click and select Group. Now the lines and shapes in the face act like one image again. You can move and resize it just as you would any image.
If you want to use this face again and again, you can save it to your library. To do this, all you have to do is select the image and choose File, then Save to Library.
Now that you’ve got your face, you can use it to cut freezer paper stencils for dolly faces on your Silhouette. No more dolly face anxiety!
Have you entered our giveaway for a Silhouette SD digital cutter? If not, go there now and get entered! Deadline is Monday, November 29 at midnight CST.
By Anne Weaver
- Giveaway: Silhouette digital cutter!
- Tutorial: Freezer paper stencils using a digital cutter
- Review & promo code: Silhouette tattoo paper
- Tutorial: Make a stenciled pillowcase for Passover
- Who’s the winner of the Silhouette SD giveaway?